We've Moved - https://cdph.ca.gov/

Welcome to the State of California 

Information about the Clinical Microbiologist Scientist Trainee License

Thank you for your interest in the California Clinical Microbiologist Scientist Trainee license.
Laboratory Field Services (LFS) requires applicants to submit documentation of academic coursework to qualify for licensure.

Work experience in California as an unlicensed laboratory staff person will not be accepted as qualification toward any clinical laboratory license.  

Please note that biotech/pharmaceutical, forensic, academic, veterinary, research, and student laboratory experience cannot count as work experience or training for any clinical license. 


Scope of practice

  • This license permits you only to train, not work, as a licensed Clinical Microbiologist Scientist.
  • This license permits you to train in all areas of the specialty of clinical microbiology in Department-approved training programs. A list of approved training programs can be viewed at LFS Approved CLS training programs.


Academic requirements

  • Bachelor’s degree (baccalaureate) in microbiology or equivalent major.
    • Official transcripts must verify the completion of 25 semester or equivalent quarter units of microbiology courses, which must include medical microbiology.
    • Examples of microbiology courses include, but are not limited to, parasitology, virology, mycology, mycobacteriology, serology, molecular techniques, immunology, and basic microbiology.
Non-US transcripts
  • All non-U.S. transcripts must be evaluated by "Current Members" of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), and "Endorsed Members" of the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE). This allows LFS to determine if your education is equivalent to a U.S. college or university education. The evaluation service will send an evaluation of your educational institution and academic courses directly to LFS.
  • To obtain an application, instructions, and information, visit their websites at http://www.naces.org/members.html or http://aice-eval.org/members/.
  • If you are an applicant whose education and training/experience is from a non-U.S. school, college, university, or clinical laboratory, please make sure that your name is printed in English on all your transcripts and supporting documents and that it matches your name on the application.



How to Apply for a California Clinical Microbiologist Scientist Trainee License

  • Select the license type for which you are applying from the menu on the application website.
  • You will need a Visa or MasterCard to pay your application fee.
  • Transcripts must be original documents bearing the school, college, or university registrar’s seal, sent directly to LFS from the office of the college or university registrar. Request to have your transcripts mailed to: 

Laboratory Field Services - CLS Trainee Program
850 Marina Bay Parkway, Bldg. P 1st Floor
Richmond, CA 94804

  • You can check the status of your application online using the application identification number provided upon completion of your application.
  • Incomplete application packages may be abandoned 150 days after registration. All abandoned applicants who wish to re-apply must pay a new non-refundable application fee.


Documents you may need for your application:

  • Official transcript showing your baccalaureate degree.
  • NACES or AICE course-by-course evaluation.
Last modified on: 4/4/2017 4:34 PM