We've Moved - https://cdph.ca.gov/

Welcome to the State of California 

Information about Clinical Laboratory Director Licenses

Thank you for your interest in the California Clinical Laboratory Director license.
Laboratory Field Services (LFS) requires applicants to submit documentation of academic coursework and clinical training or work experience to qualify for licensure.

Work experience in California as an unlicensed laboratory staff person will not be accepted as qualification toward any clinical laboratory license.  

Please note that biotech/pharmaceutical, forensic, academic, veterinary, research, and student laboratory experience cannot count as work experience or training for any clinical license 


Scope of practice

There are eight license types for the various laboratory director areas of specialization. For information about a specific license please click on the license type in the list below:


Academic requirements

  • Academic requirements vary according to license type. Please check the requirements for the license type for which you are applying.
Non-US transcripts
  • All non-U.S. transcripts must be evaluated by "Current Members" of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), and "Endorsed Members" of the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE). This allows LFS to determine if your education is equivalent to a U.S. college or university education. The evaluation service will send an evaluation of your educational institution and academic courses directly to LFS.

Laboratory Field Services - Laboratory Director Program
850 Marina Bay Parkway, Bldg. P 1st Floor
Richmond, CA 94804

  • You will need both the general and the course by course evaluations.
  • To obtain an application, instructions, and information, visit their websites at http://www.naces.org/members.html or http://aice-eval.org/members/.
  • If you are an applicant whose education and training/experience is from a non-U.S. school, college, university, or clinical laboratory, please make sure that your name is printed in English on all your transcripts and supporting documents and that it matches your name on the application.


Training and experience 

  • Requirements vary according to license type. Please check the requirements for the license type for which you are applying.
  • Training or work experience must be in a clinical laboratory.
  • Verification must be signed by the training coordinator (for training) or laboratory director (for experience) and sent directly to LFS. Request to have your verification mailed to LFS at the address above.



  • You will need to provide verification of a national certification examination. Approved examinations vary according to license type. Please check the requirements for the license type for which you are applying.


Once you receive your license you will need to renew it every two years. To renew, you must pay a fee and submit documentation of continuing education. For information about the renewal process, including renewal fees, continuing education requirements, approved continuing education accrediting agencies, and the renewal form LAB 177, please visit the LFS renewal webpage.


How to Apply for a California Clinical Laboratory Director License

  • Select the license type for which you are applying from the menu on the application website.
  • You will need a Visa or MasterCard to pay your application fee.
  • Transcripts must be original documents bearing the school, college, or university registrar’s seal, sent directly to LFS from the office of the college or university registrar. Request to have your transcripts mailed to:

Laboratory Field Services - Laboratory Director Program
850 Marina Bay Parkway, Bldg. P 1st Floor
Richmond, CA 94804

  • Official verification of training or work experience must be sent directly to LFS from the training coordinator or laboratory director showing the beginning and ending dates of the training or experience. This information should cover all areas in which the rotation was completed with a description of the clinical laboratory tests or examinations performed. Please request that verification documents be sent to LFS at the address above.
  • You can check the status of your application online using the unique identification number provided upon completion of your application.
  • Incomplete application packages may be abandoned 150 days after registration. All abandoned applicants who wish to re-apply must pay a new non-refundable application fee.


Documents you may need for your application:

  • Official transcript showing your degree.
  •  NACES or AICE general and course-by-course evaluation.
  • Verification of post-baccalaureate training.
  • Verification of applicable on-the-job experience in a clinical laboratory.
  • Verification of national certification examination.
  • Oral examination.


For additional information you may contact LFSdirectors@cdph.ca.gov.

Last modified on: 9/18/2017 7:32 PM