We've Moved - https://cdph.ca.gov/

Welcome to the State of California 

Adoptions or Changes in Paternity

If you would like information on how to add or change the father/parent’s name on a birth certificate or how to obtain a new birth certificate after an adoption, please select from the items below.  

Information about Amendments, Delayed Registrations, Name Changes, and a variety of other subjects is available in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format. To read these files, Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed. To download free Adobe Acrobat Reader, please click here: Adobe Acrobat Reader.

There are three ways to obtain vital record amendment forms:

  • Download fillable forms in PDF format.  Click here to download the desired form and printing instructions.
  • Order paper forms and instructions to be mailed to you.  Click CDPH-VR Forms to order.  Please allow up to two weeks for delivery by mail.
  • You may also get these forms from the County Recorder's Office.

To speak with an attendant about amendment issues, please call (916) 445-2684, or call (916) 552-0514 to speak with a Spanish-speaking attendant.

Type of Request

  • Acknowledgement of Paternity (add the parent’s name) (PDF)Opens a new browser window.
  • Adjudication of Facts of Parentage (change or add a parent's name) (PDF)Opens a new browser window.
  • The Adoption Process (PDF)Opens a new browser window.
    Last modified on: 2/13/2017 3:24 PM